Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trails for Foreigners

Hi there MTB friends.
I am traveling to the area and will be around from the 27th April until the 5th May. I live in Namibia and recently started some trails in the mountains. I would love to experience some English trails whilst on holiday. i do not however have a bike in the UK so would look to rent one together with a helmet and keen to join some of your evening rides.
Can anyone please guide me on bike rental and how to get to the "starting point" from the train station as I am staying in Watlington.
Thanks a lot!

Re: Trails for Foreigners

Hello Sam,

Great stuff - despite the Brexit disaster and the nationalist rhetoric of late, I think "foreigners" are still welcome to join our rides upon a successful rendition of the national anthem and proud display of a Union Jack. Not so sure of the bike hire / loan situation though. Maybe if you provided your stats height / weight / ability and someone may step in with a loan bike in return for a couple of Ale's at the mandatory pub stop.

Cambridge is pretty flat, depending on the location of the scheduled pub stop we range from 25-40 miles in an evening ride.

Adriano

Re: Trails for Foreigners

Thanks Adriano, I would wear the Union Jack with pride as it is afterall my heritage :) A rendition of the national anthem however may be tricky but perhaps after a few ale's be a little easier on the tongue!

Like mentioned I am a beginner but very enthusiastic about long tough rides so far :) Doing about 30km with an elevation gain of about 400m. I am 1.68m tall and weigh 56kg's, using a "medium" size bike.. My husband who I will be dragging with me, with the same ability as myself is only a bit taller than me using a size "large" bike. I am sure I can pick up a helmet at a sport shop along the way :)

Look forward to hearing from anyone out there that may be able to help and hopefully joining a ride or three :)