Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
It Ain't Over 'til it's Over

Hi All,

Forget those forecasts of apocalyptic rain - it's all hit and miss. (Although, judging by lightningmaps.org, Cambridge has just been hit!) The Met Office is forecasting possibility of showers today but that fades into this evening.

I'm leading the ride from Cambridge to my home village of Over this evening. It's a bit of an epic and there are some bail-out points in case of biblical downpours. (Hopefully, we won't actually need to bail anything.)

I'm going to keep the route more or less the same as previous years - out to Hardwick, Blue Bridge, Childerley, Knapwell, Boxworth all mostly off-road. Then a road charge down the hill from Boxworth to Swavesey, then off road to Over.

If you wish to 'do a Dom' and park close to the drinking hole, there's space at the Over Community Centre. Please let me know as I will be cycling into Cambridge at about 18:30 and we can go together.

See you tonight!

PT

Re: It Ain't Over 'til it's Over

Thanks Pasty, looking forward to this, and I shall be riding to the start

I was a bit worried that the forecast storms may turn the chutes into tumultuous torrents, but the outlook looks better so I will probably risk it.

Brave man, Pete. Those chutes are just as precarious in the dry - the ground can turn into millions of marble-like pieces and even someone as skilled and bold as Pasty can get taken unawares.

All that being said, I'll be out. I won't be doing a Dom, and will ride from home to Brookside.

Dom

I'll be out.

Richard

Un/Fortunately it is our first CVC parents evening thingy tonight so nil pwont.
Is it true Pasty chutes..then leaves?

Phew, just in and all dogs put to bed (bearing in mind the nature of the conversation this evening, make of that what you will!)

Anyway, by dint of an all road return its an epic! (40.56 miles). Well done Tom, good route as always.

Methinks there's potential for a latex tube discussion after tonight's ride.