Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Tuesday 18th July

Hi,

I have travelled from Manchester for work and noticed that you guys are having a ride out this evening. I have thrown my bike in the boot and would love to join you if you don't mind. My original plan was to go to Thetford, never been before and thought I could at least have a training ride, however just noticed it closes at 7pm !

If you are out tonight and don't mind me joining then where and when?

Thanks

Andrew

White Swan Conington - Tuesday 18th July

Anyone out tonight for the above venue specified on the Run List?

I am - my Time Trial tonight has been cancelled so am in need of an intensive training session.

This is also Bikers Night for the White Swan, so if you are interested in motorcycles.....

Re: White Swan Conington - Tuesday 18th July

I'll join in.
I will park at Connington and ride to the start, so please advise if changing the pub.

Re: White Swan Conington - Tuesday 18th July

Hi Andrew

Of course you are welcome to join us - tonight will be roughly:

Meet at the corner of Brookside and Lensfield road for 7.30
2 to 2.5 hour mainly off road ride to the pub in connington
Drink until closing time
Wobble back to cambridge for about midnight.

Alternatively if you are keen on Thetford the carpark at Brandon Country Park doesnt shut - cross the road and follow the blue back to the main centre.
The blue is a fireroad tour of the forest and not worth doing, the 2 reds are fun to ride at pace although are far less technical than a North Wales red.

Re: Tuesday 18th July

Hi Andrew

Taken from the CAMMTB web page, had to change it a bit as the map didn't work.

We meet up every Tuesday and Thursday evening at 7.30pm in central Cambridge outside the Japas Sushi restaurant (formerly known as the Cross Keys pub) at Brookside, Cambridge . We ride out on the permitted trails around the Cambridge area, finishing at a pre-set pub at approximately 9.30 - 10pm

The closest postcode I can find is CB2 1HN or maybe CB2 1EN, but its on Brookside and NOT on Saxon Street, there is a wooden bench near the Junction of Brookside and Lensfield Road, this is the usual meeting place, there is a cycle shop also on the opposite corner called Lensfield Road Cyles :)

Hope that helps.

Eeks, Dr Paul and I are out tonight with a plan.
Yes m/c night Tuesdays but this tends to be from 6-9pm so there will be fewer bikes by the time we get there. If you are going to take the car best place to park it is on the right hand side as you go in very close to the road and tucked in a bit or at the pub end of the car park tucked in the right hand corner. It's warm today so they'll be 50+ bikes there tonight and a car in the wrong place doesn't usually go down very well.
See you later.......alligator.

Duncan
Eeks, Dr Paul and I are out tonight with a plan.

Duncan, does this mean you and Dr L are going somewhere else?

Pete

No! Eco, Cook and I will be out and heading to Connington.

See you at Brookside.

Paul

Thanks everyone. I will definitely try to be there for 7.30pm. I am currently at the Babraham working and (stupidly) staying at the Holiday inn just off the A14. How do you get back from Conington?

Thanks again

Andrew

Hi Andrew
Normal drill is long ride out to the pub from Cambridge, then direct ride back to Cambridge, with lights, after refreshment.

Tonight it suits me to park at Conington and ride into Cambridge for the start. If you want to do it that way too I intend to leave Conington at 6:30.