Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cycle Insurance Rcommendation

Who's best ?

Bike needs insurance.

If anything, i'm slightly worried about the fact that it's a build up from components and how they'd treat this.

Re: Cycle Insurance Rcommendation

Mine are on M&S home insurance

NFU home insurance is similar and covers bikes to £3000 even away from home AND in out buildings like sheds ....if they are locked up, and the value can go higher if you specify specific bikes.

custom build is not a real problem as long as you specify a model from the manufacturer of the frame that has sufficient scope to cover a like for like replacement.
they dont ask for serial numbers.

just watch out though, in the event you make a claim for a loss of over £7500 you may find yourself in a whole lot of trouble come renewal day.

most insurance companies wont even quote you if you have a claim of that much against you for 3 years.

individual bike insurance is usualy a lot more expensive .... about 1/3 of the value of the bike if i remember right. Also watch out for the exclusions like, "you are not covered when the bike is out of your posession", like in the hold of an aeroplane! which is when you want it the most.

I have heard good things about Pedal Cover home and bike insurance.

Home insurance. Just have to list anything over £3000

The sales commission goes to Pete - I ended up buying a new policy with Pedalcover and cancelling my existing household insurance. All the steeds are now covered (and it was ~£100 cheaper...)

you could put that on the reviews section of the website ;)

I just asked for a quotation from Pedalcover and it came out £49.00 dearer than our current Aviva policy with worse allowances (£9000 per hotel room type claim as opposed to £14000) and a much higher excess (£350 versus £100). Only real difference is our policy only covers us for upto 60 days in the States!