Cam MTB - the Cambridge Mountain Bikers' Forum

Click on the "return to website" button to see our new website with loads more details of who we are, where and when we ride and much more.

DISCLAIMER. MOUNTAIN BIKING CAN BE DANGEROUS. YOU JOIN US AT YOUR OWN RISK.

SAFETY BRIEFING.

• Wear a helmet. Despite recent advances in medical science, brains still cannot be mended nor replaced.
  • Wear gloves or mitts. Hands often hit the ground first. Cuts and grazes invite infection and a hospital visit.
  • Wear eye protection, it only takes a twig or thorn to lose an eye. Crud catchers are a good idea in mucky weather.
  • When downhilling, for your own protection, allow plenty of space behind the rider in front.
  • Bring a bare minimum emergency tool kit and a spare inner tube.
  • Breakdowns are a bore. Plan not to have any by ensuring your bike is in perfect working order.
  • Punctures are also tedious. You can minimise them by fitting latex tubes, slime tubes or running tubeless tyres.

Photo: CAMMTB Winter 2022-23 rides have been posted up - please click on the Runs List link..

CAMMTB Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joining for a ride

Hi all, I am new-ish to mountain biking - I got myself a bike (a Voodoo Hoodoo) last year and I have been riding around Cambridge (and occasionally Tethford). I was just wondering if it's possible to join in, for one of your next rides to "challenge" myself and meet new people. I don't know whether my bike, level of fitness and experience is sufficient to keep up though;
any advice/suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
I went through the checklist at the top of this page and I have all I need, as suggested.

Thanks in advance :-)

Fabrizio

Re: Joining for a ride

Hi Fabrizio,

Welcome to CAMMTB! A Voodoo Hoodoo will be perfect for the trails around here. If you also make sure that you have some good lights to see the trail at night you should be fine. Lights can also be borrowed if you post ahead of a ride.

We have begun to commence rides at 7 pm rather than 7:30 pm due to the early pub closing, just to make sure that we get a decent ride in before stopping for a refresher.

As regards fitness, we have a variety of fitness levels in the group and we do always stop for people catch up.

Best regards,

TOM

Thursday night Re: Joining for a ride

Hi Fabrizio

If tou wpuld like to join us tomorrow night. I will make sure you have fun and get home

TomR

Hi Tom and TomR
Thanks, I'll be glad to join you. If I understand it correctly, it'll be at 7pm at Horningsea!

Cheers

Fabrizio

Hi Fabrizio. The meeting point is at Brookside, in town, outside Japas sushi restaurant. Don't go to Horningsea!

I am glad I asked :-)
Thanks!!

Just so Fabrizio knows where to to get home from, our destination pub tonight (8/10/20) is the Hare & Hounds at Harlton. (Approx 6 miles SW of town centre)

thank you all for such a warm welcome to the group... I am looking forward to the next ride.