Return to Website

The GTS BantaBar

The Banatabar is for you to ask questions or make comments about Gambia. Others can read your contributions and reply or leave their own ideas

If you have some great Gambia photos please resize them to around 100K and upload them to our on line Picture Album available from the BantaBar menu page

The GTS BantaBar
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: senegambia rd area

Hi Eli, nice to hear from you, yes indeed I'm back in the UK and in many ways wish I wasn't. But it is good seeing police here in UK policing and not going round like wanna be hoods, touting and waving guns in public, and beating handcuffed young men whose only crime appears to be on the wrong road at the wrong time ie when the army or police are out and about. Many of the harder cases known to be pushing drugs etc seem to have an arrangemnet with the officials as they are still around quite freely.

Back in Novemeber it was worst when quite literally dozens of boys were handcuffed and thrown into the back of trucks - they appeared a day or two later with their hair shaved off and sporting kick and beating marks from their treatment. Any girls thought to be prostitutes were taken away and many who were not Gambian nationals were deported.

The TDA brought in new Id cards this year and anyone not carrying one is likely to be arrested - unfortunately even after payibg the TDA for the cards it took over 8 weeks to get them and in those weeks several GTS staff were arrested and we had to go and rescue them from the police station.

Having said all that - most of the the boys and girls without work Id's are there to hassle and score off the tourists, they are not on the beach because they like the sea or the scenery and so although the problem is directly attributed to the tourist presence, they choose to break the laws in order to profit from the tourists. Their actions are for short term profits and the bad affect they have on tourists not leaving their hotels because of the hassle is very damaging to the genuine traders who are attempting to sell fruit or crafts etc with all their papers in order.

The solution is simple don't go into the tourist areas, if I strayed on Greenham Common I'd be arrested, I rememeber the emotive pics of women being dragged from their babies for doing just that.

Anyway despite the same old thorny problem Gambia is still great - hot in the days BUT very chilly at night so pack your socks and jumpers - all the best

Fran GTS UK

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

trip no. 14imminent

but it has been 10 months since i was around

is it true what i am hearing about the "cleaning up" of senegambia area?

they say that the bumsters and "ladies" have been shifted.

can any recent visitors or afficionados confirm or refute these claims?

thanks

Francis - what have you seen?

I imagine you are still there.

Re: Re: senegambia rd area

hi francis

thanks for the comprehensive answer

i am back 28th feb

hope the nights are warmer by then

as you know i married a gambian

i hope that this excessive over-reaction by the crazy police

does not extend to trying to bar my wifes progress from balmoral to senegambia road!

she is now a tourist!

keep well

Replying to:

Hi Eli, nice to hear from you, yes indeed I'm back in the UK and in many ways wish I wasn't. But it is good seeing police here in UK policing and not going round like wanna be hoods, touting and waving guns in public, and beating handcuffed young men whose only crime appears to be on the wrong road at the wrong time ie when the army or police are out and about. Many of the harder cases known to be pushing drugs etc seem to have an arrangemnet with the officials as they are still around quite freely.

Back in Novemeber it was worst when quite literally dozens of boys were handcuffed and thrown into the back of trucks - they appeared a day or two later with their hair shaved off and sporting kick and beating marks from their treatment. Any girls thought to be prostitutes were taken away and many who were not Gambian nationals were deported.

The TDA brought in new Id cards this year and anyone not carrying one is likely to be arrested - unfortunately even after payibg the TDA for the cards it took over 8 weeks to get them and in those weeks several GTS staff were arrested and we had to go and rescue them from the police station.

Having said all that - most of the the boys and girls without work Id's are there to hassle and score off the tourists, they are not on the beach because they like the sea or the scenery and so although the problem is directly attributed to the tourist presence, they choose to break the laws in order to profit from the tourists. Their actions are for short term profits and the bad affect they have on tourists not leaving their hotels because of the hassle is very damaging to the genuine traders who are attempting to sell fruit or crafts etc with all their papers in order.

The solution is simple don't go into the tourist areas, if I strayed on Greenham Common I'd be arrested, I rememeber the emotive pics of women being dragged from their babies for doing just that.

Anyway despite the same old thorny problem Gambia is still great - hot in the days BUT very chilly at night so pack your socks and jumpers - all the best

Fran GTS UK

Replying to:

trip no. 14imminent

but it has been 10 months since i was around

is it true what i am hearing about the "cleaning up" of senegambia area?

they say that the bumsters and "ladies" have been shifted.

can any recent visitors or afficionados confirm or refute these claims?

thanks

Francis - what have you seen?

I imagine you are still there.