Return to Website

The GTS BantaBar

The Banatabar is for you to ask questions or make comments about Gambia. Others can read your contributions and reply or leave their own ideas

If you have some great Gambia photos please resize them to around 100K and upload them to our on line Picture Album available from the BantaBar menu page

The GTS BantaBar
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Mandinka language courses

Emma and the other contributors in this thread, May and her husband are currently working on a book that I hope will have a tape to go with it. But as May is now expecting her first baby the publication is likely to be somewhat delayed.

There are a number of Wolof courses available and one Fula course, but none in Mandinka that I know of.

Many UK communities have West African communities within them and a % of those people will speak Mandinka. I suggest a card in the local Mosque or shop may provide someone who could give you help.

Each year I arrive in Gambia determined to leave speaking Mandinka or Fula and each year I leave having failed to find the time, but with just a slightly larger set of single words and phrases I have acquired.

If I live to 125 I ought to be quite fluent.

If anyone has other ideas please let us all know.

Francis

GTS UK

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Replying to:

Is there anywhere I can get tapes on learning Mandinka?

Re: Mandinka language courses

Thanks, only trouble is living in Suffolk there aren't that many Africans!!!

Replying to:

Emma and the other contributors in this thread, May and her husband are currently working on a book that I hope will have a tape to go with it. But as May is now expecting her first baby the publication is likely to be somewhat delayed.

There are a number of Wolof courses available and one Fula course, but none in Mandinka that I know of.

Many UK communities have West African communities within them and a % of those people will speak Mandinka. I suggest a card in the local Mosque or shop may provide someone who could give you help.

Each year I arrive in Gambia determined to leave speaking Mandinka or Fula and each year I leave having failed to find the time, but with just a slightly larger set of single words and phrases I have acquired.

If I live to 125 I ought to be quite fluent.

If anyone has other ideas please let us all know.

Francis

GTS UK

Replying to:

Is there anywhere I can get tapes on learning Mandinka?

Re: Re: Mandinka language courses

Has anyone dicovered www.africanculture.dk/gambia/ which has a Mandinka and Wolof dictionary and grammar you can download. They are both quite long.