Return to Website

The GTS BantaBar

The Banatabar is for you to ask questions or make comments about Gambia. Others can read your contributions and reply or leave their own ideas

If you have some great Gambia photos please resize them to around 100K and upload them to our on line Picture Album available from the BantaBar menu page

The GTS BantaBar
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: "No", said Dikoo

Yes, thank you, I am aware that English is not the mother-tongue of Gambians. And in addition, I find their ability to handle several languages effectively, including English, absolutely staggering, and I envy their linguistic abilities.

Developing a language does not necessitate university degrees or literacy: humans invented languages well before there were schools, colleges or books. I am particularly interested in the acquisition of language and literacy skills by small children, and spend a great deal of time trying to explore this process. Research evidence shows that command of English (as a second/third/etc language) is enhanced if the children are first led to develop literacy and associated concepts, in their own mother tongue. I remember reading somewhere that the Gambian Government supports the use of local languages as the primary means of communication in nursery schools.

Returning briefly to Dikoo, this is a man who has memorised the ENTIRE Koran. I have a great deal of respect for Dikoo. He is intelligent, he works hard and he is a nice guy.

Re: "No", said Dikoo

Do you mean because he didn't get the metaphor or because he said 'it moon' instead of 'it's the moon'? In either case, you could just as easily ask the same of anywhere outside the strict dictum of the Noel Coward play, a Merchant Ivory film or tea with the queen.

A fully functioning language could be taken as one which allowed people to communicate effectively so there's your answer. But regarding Gambian communication in general, I often wonder how different tribes manage. Do they use a lingua franca or rely on a skeleton of other languages?

Opposite to Senegal, where 80% of the people can speak wolof, there is no lingua franca in The Gambia. English is the official langage, but only people, who attended school can speak it more or less, depending on how long they went to school.

I have no knowledge of the other languages, but Wolof and Mandinka have no similarities, so one can not be used to learn the other one.

Re: "No", said Dikoo

just going off at a tangeant, thankyou jo for repeating the highwayman. i hadn't heard that poem in years and the years slipped away as i read it again

Watchout for ostlers though!!