Return to Website

The GTS BantaBar

The Banatabar is for you to ask questions or make comments about Gambia. Others can read your contributions and reply or leave their own ideas

If you have some great Gambia photos please resize them to around 100K and upload them to our on line Picture Album available from the BantaBar menu page

The GTS BantaBar
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Ginak island

Hi
this is the island on holiday showdown about 3 years ago, the island is paradise no bumbsters etc.

Re: Re: Ginak island

This is the island and you are right, no bumsters. The restaurant shown on that programme there but empty. Swam in the sea whilst there and not another person in sight BLISS!

Re: Re: Re: Ginak island for carolyn

Hi Carolyn
Did you go over the island to the village i have'nt been for 2 years, and i found a website about a charity called 2bab the website http://www.2bab.org/index.php/About%20the%20clinic%20on%20Jinack%20Kayateh i was wondering if you saw the new hospital being built on the island.
i'v been going over to the island for about 15 years, my favourite part of the gambia its paradise.
thanks

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ginak island for carolyn

Hi thanks for the info on the 2bab site have just had a read. They have started the hospital and when I left the end of December they were putting the roof on. The ambulance is also in situ and very smart. I was also introduced to the new Headmaster who seems very enthusiastic, when I return I have been asked to spend some time with him. His nursery staff were away doing some training so as a nursery teacher myself I will be interested to see what changes there are.
When do you intend to return?
The people were as lovely as ever and the community spirit just as strong.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ginak island for carolyn

Carolyn - Nice to see you've surfaced after such a long time ...

See another small report with pictures at

http://www.getsuk.org/membership/getsnewsletter4.pdf

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ginak island for carolyn

Hi Carolyn
im going over to jinak end of feb, can't wait to see everyone and have a look at the new hospital, great news for the island.
did you stay at madiyana camp iv heard on trip adviser forum the bar has gone into the see is this correct.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ginak island for carolyn

Hi I always stay at Coconut Lodge just outside Kajjatta village on the creek side of the island. That is where I was painting as the roundhouses as all needed work. We also cleared a lot of the garden, the things that have required doing for a long time, so I hope it all looks good now.I did go to Madiyanas and it is in the sea(appaerntly there should be no permanent structures on the beach side).I swam in the sea and just enjoyed being the only person on the beach for as far as I could see.I went with Jubril in the boat all around the creeks, went birdwatching with Sarjo, drank attayya with the lads and realised that I will never stay away so long from this place again. Enjoy yourself in February.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ginak island for carolyn

Hi Carolyn
i have stayed at coconut lodge a few times over the years, dumbo the owner did me a big favour a few years ago i shall repay him in feb, have to agree its a great place to stay, one of my best moments was going across the river from the island in a little boat, the sun was setting on my left, and on my right was this huge full moon, and a smell of smoke coming from the village, that will stay with me till the day i die.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ginak island for carolyn

Hi Paul Dembo is my husband and I am glad he did you a big favour. I have been coming to this island for 14 years before the lodge was built. I am glad you have such fond memories and I hope when you return in February you have a fabulous time and all is well there. Maybe one day we will meet.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Ginak island for carolyn

Small world
we have met a few times.

Re: Ginak island - for Carolyn

Thanks for sharing this with us, Carolyn! Sounds idyllic :-)