Return to Website

The GTS BantaBar

The Banatabar is for you to ask questions or make comments about Gambia. Others can read your contributions and reply or leave their own ideas

If you have some great Gambia photos please resize them to around 100K and upload them to our on line Picture Album available from the BantaBar menu page

The GTS BantaBar
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Return from the Gambia

My suitcase is unpacked, everything washed and hanging outside on the line to dry. Thank God I came back to lovely warm sunny weather. How was it over there? Great, no need to have worried. I don't know why some people seem to be so unlucky. Never in my 10 years of going there have I ever been hassled by any custom official, police or indeed, bumster.
Anyway the flight was not too bad although there was a three hour wait at the check in at Gatwick due to the computers not working, but I don't think that that was Viking airline's fault. The meal on the plane was quite nice. Coming back they even offered free water. On arrival back home something was wrong with the luggage belt and we had to wait for nearly two hours for our cases, but again not sure whos fault that was. As for the Gambia, the weather was great, naturally. No tourists at all, I had the beach to myself apart from a few ex-pats. Senegambia strip completely quiet. I went to Sarges hotel a few times to use their pool and again no guests there and I had the pool to myself. What luxury. Most of the hotels were closed anyway. Hey, but best of all, I got 42.75 dalassi to the pound whereas in February I only got 37!!!! I stayed well within my budget of £10 a day. For that I have a meal out, bush taxi rides, drinks and occasionally massage at the beach, little bits of "tat" and also some left for charity. Brilliant. Going back in November. The only really annoying thing for me over there is the howling of the blasted stray dogs at night.
Oh, walked a couple of times past the GTS office but totally closed with no sign of life.

Re: Return from the Gambia

Hi RS nice to see that you got back in one piece on that awfull airline that flys them uncomfartable horible planes and you had such agreat time in that awful place where everybody ripps you off on them nasty beaches with nobody on them lol.Although i must just say i wouldnt like to go in rounds wit you on that budget of yours.Glad you had a great time roll on christmas then iwill be there.

Ka Su Mai..
Hi RS..Glad you had a good time..
We have never been in June but it sounds like you had the place to yourself!
I am more interested in Viking..are they the new Aeroflot for W.Africa now? I mean in terms of safety etc.. Have scoured the net but all I can find Re. Viking are other 'resellers'. Do they sell direct at all?
Yes the currency has got a bit better as I saw on Allafrica.com yesterday. In Jan this year when we were on business it was cheaper to buy a beer here in UK than there.
N'dank..N'dank
Dawda

Glad you had a great holiday, but as someone who constantly gets hassled by bumsters..whats your secret? I love Gambia, but that is what is putting me off going back, it seems to be getting worse (been 3 times).

Those poor stray cats and dogs, a lot of them are in a deplorable condition.

http://www.gambicats.org.uk/

http://www.gambiahorseanddonkey.org.uk/
The Gambia Horse and Donkey Trust works to promote welfare amongst the regions many horses and donkeys that are used within the rural community as working animals. Through poverty and lack of knowledge these animals have often suffered terribly so the Trust’s work is vital. Plus you can help buy a donkey for a needy family

Maybe you are just too kind and the bumsters can sense that. I am not a great animal lover and really couldn't care less about the "poor" stray cats and dogs in the Gambia. Sorry to sound so harsh but it doesn't get you anywhere to be too kind in the Gambia whether that concerns man or beast. It's a lesson I have learned there over the years.