Return to Website

The GTS BantaBar

The Banatabar is for you to ask questions or make comments about Gambia. Others can read your contributions and reply or leave their own ideas

If you have some great Gambia photos please resize them to around 100K and upload them to our on line Picture Album available from the BantaBar menu page

The GTS BantaBar
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Statistics?

http://www.accessgambia.com/

hi tom its all on this site look for currency converter.
get well soon you missing the gambian sun
best regards
FADERABRAHAM
(FADS)

Many thanks - will do!
Tom

Hi Tom

Rate seems to vary a bit but plus 40 and has been most of the rainy season - if it is a trend it will start to fall end of september and by November down to mid 30's - BUT there is no real knowing with World economics being as there are.

GTS didn't quite manage to break eave on it's Bar and Restaurant trading - but we do employ more staff than really necessary and keep peopel on who others may sack - but we are a charitable organistion.

We are not expecting any real improvement this season, we open the GTS Members Zone at GTS Kololi from January and expect it to struggle this coming year despite really low prices for food and drink or maybe because of low prices.

The Presidents sales schemes have helped drop teh price of Rice and Cement over the months of last season but people need transport to collect as sales points are limited but once advertised others drop their prices to compete - so it really is helping teh local people.

Despite the massive drop in exchange rates (D53 to as low as D32 last season) the prioces in the shops have dropped very little and business people have told me that they could reduce prices but can't be the first without threats from others and I guess there are not the resources to have price inspectors or regulators.

I'm in UK at present but will report back more when I return to Gambia - Thanks for the posting and to Abraham for his response.

Francis; thanks for your reply. It's so frustating not being there myself! I sincerely trust that GTS pulls through - it's a brilliant scheme.
Best wishes,
Tom.

No question of that at the moment Tom - we have always been 100% committed since 1997, now that I'm no longer working full time in the UK, I had to provide for earning enough to live out there while still supporting the charity both financially and via services delivered - Hope I've got the balance right.

Big charities in general have really asked for criticism paying CEO massive salaries, running all expenses paid monitoring visits and the like & people are rightly sceptical. From when we first started we were attacked as lining our own pockets - we aren't, never have done and as long as I am running it never will.

Thanks for your support
Francis

PS Anyone is welcome to the charities AGM, the 2010 venue has not been finally decided, but I will post when it has here and on the GETS site.

Francis - I echo your views to the letter. Our charity (GOES) is as yet a 'micro charity' - bringing in just less tha £5k last year. We're registered with HMRC for Gift Aid which has saved a few lives!
This 'CEO' rides a bike rather than driving a 4x4 and we have as yet to aquire Head Offices in Belgravia!
We're retired and so have the luxury of not needing any income from the charity - what comes in goes out to help people without any deduction for 'expenses'.
We admire greatly the effort put in by many people such as yourself to provide a decent living for so many people who can take pride in their employment.
Keep up the good work!
Tom.