Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
More winter!

This is fairly typical here. Just as the worst of January is ending .. and we start to hope for better weather .. along comes a new storm in the beginning of February!

So, we are about to get 4"-6" of new snow with cold weather. Indiana will probably get twice as much snow as we will. :)

Oh well, just "hunker down" and deal with it.

For those of you in the warm areas ... consider yourselves blessed.

What did you do in the Corps? drummer

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Re: More winter!

I can't ski any more (knees) and can't sled any more (back) - but I can still shovel it (the snow too)! What's not to love? Ya gotta have some variety and where else can you have an adventure like sliding down the street?

What did you do in the Corps? drum

What years were you a Corps member? '60-'69

It's been cold this January in San Francisco. Never cold enough to snow but a lot of cold rain.

Good thing though as the rain and snow (in the mountains) means lots of water in the reservoirs.

So much for global warming.

Dave said I couldn't tell everyone that it's supposed to be 80 degrees here today, so I won't...

What did you do in the Corps? Snare, Drum Major, Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79

Bob, thanks for NOT gloating!

The final tally by me (Elmhurst) was probably about 12". It took me 2.5 hours to dig out this morning.

Bob

Hope you didn't get overheated today. It must be awful to live where it is so warm. Here in Lombard it is a balmy 30 degrees. Hopefully the temperature will drop tonight. It's really neat went the streets and sidewalks ice up.

My daughter who lives in Pasadena CA is visiting a friend in Chicago this week. Can't wait to here her comments on the snow. We moved to California when she was 4 and I don't believe she's had to deal with a big storm.

Anytime someone down here says they miss the snow, they're lying...or they mean on Christmas Day, but that's about it!

Ya'll have fun up there. I started today in jeans but had to switch to shorts. And the AC is on in the house and in the car.

Wow! So I guess y'all we be having nice Super Bowl parties as well. By brother-in-law, who lives in Santa Monica, was telling me last night that everyone over there is upset over the fact that the forecasted 60 degree weather in his area is going to ruin everyone's party!

Oh no! A super bowl party with the temperature at ONLY 60!

Dave,

You have to understand that the people in Southern CA expect that it's going to be 70 to 80 degrees most of the year. When it get's in the 60's they pull out the sweaters and parka's. The people in the San Francisco area expect that it will be about 50 to 70 degrees year around and usually wear a sweater any way.

Those temperatures usually hold through out the year although it can dip into the 50s in LA and 40s here during the winter.

Also when Bob talks about Florida he doesn't mention the high heat and humidity they have for at least six months of the year. It's like the worst of summer days in Chicago on a day to day basis--the rest of the deep south is like that too.

Anyway, good luck with the snow. I have to go to Denver Monday so I'll have to pull out the gloves and winter overcoat.

I didn't need the AC in my car today, since it was 30 degrees. I also had on shorts, but needed to apply 5 layers of clothing to hit the icy streets. As soon as I can win the lottery I will be down south complaining about the heat.

Sad to report,the old famous Ground Hog didn't
see his shadow today,well what's six more weeks
of winter,I should wash my mouth out with soap.

But here's some good news,I heard on the radio
morning after the first ground hog appearance in
Pennslyvania a group of people on Long Island
conducted there own ceremony with a ground hog and
this one did see it's shadow,so now you have a
choice which one you want to believe.This was the
first time I heard about this one.I don't know if
if they have done this before.

What did you do in the Corps? FrenchHorn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

Dave,

Would you please put a period on the end of that More winter! It was real pretty last week, but another 4.5 inches on Sunday, it's getting to be a little much.

Dave,

Hey that was quick. It's now raining, from snow boots to waders in 1 day.

Thanks

Donna... wish that I COULD control the weather!

Yes, the snow turned to rain ... then thunderstorms .. then hail .. then FOG! Tonight, more rain .. then tomorrow night, more snow!

Strange weather this year!

Record highs predicted here today...

Just to make ya'll feel better - we have a cold front coming through tonight. Tomorrow's temperatures are expected to plummet into the mid 70's...

Currently it's snowing sideways outside of my office window, as we're on our way to another 6" or so on top of the 1.5' we've already had it less than a week. I don't even want to think about what it would be like if all of the rain we've received in between had been snow.

But hey, my kids get to have a lot of fun and go sledding, have snowball fights, make snowmen, etc.

Bob, what did/do your kids do during the winter in always the same land?

Man, it is terrible when the temps PLUMMET into the 70s in "always the same land". (Great term, Jim! )

We have been having a lot of "fun" negotiating snow packed roads, clearing sidewalks, etc. BUT, kids DO have a lot of fun with snow .. especially when the schools are closed!

I've received 3 phone calls today. My kids in Atlanta and it's 65 degrees. My parents in Florida and it's in the 80's and my neighbors from Illinois who go to Hawaii for the winter who are having a cold spell, lower 70's. Why must these people gloat? It is beautiful out side. It looks like a wonderland here. Sure beats not having to run the AC run all year. Perhaps I'll have an attitude change. The weather in Chicago is great and unpredictable.

Good luck with that, Donna...

And you're right - it IS beautiful. As long as you never have to go OUT in it!

And we have four seasons here - cool, hot, hotter, and hottest...

What do the kids do? The same as yours - stay inside and play video games!

Bob,
I'm tempted to take some more shots, but given how awful my aim was in a snowball fight with my son last night I'm sure to miss the mark . By the way, we had a lot of fun!

Jim

My son and I fight all the time, but we don't need snow...

Bob - you're not throwing that Florida sand at each other are you?

What did you do in the Corps? drum

What years were you a Corps member? '60-69

I picked a GREAT time to come to Florida (I left hourse before the first snow) to recover. Tampa had record warmth and Miami (at my mom's0 is beautiful. Nothing like taking the lil ones to the pool every day. I agree with Bob on this one.

Sheila - just as long as you don't have to DRIVE in Miami!

These people have NO clue how to drive down here!
Bob, I havent started to drive just yet. I am just now weaning from the strong pain killers I have been on.

You may want to stay on them in Miami...I know it used to be a hotbed for National competitions, but I don't think corps would want to go there anymore. I think DCI finals was there one year? We were there in 1980, and after the show we were eating at McDonald's - until someone shot at us through the window. We never loaded the busses that quickly...

DCI was in Miami in 1983.

Yesterday it was -5 degrees here. The prediction is another 2-5 inches of snow despite the extreme cold. I might start to raise my white flag to Bob soon.

You're paying for the mild winters of the past few years, I guess.

75 and sunny here today...

Bob

Glad it is so warm down there. Driving up here on snow and ice is no comparison to the driving in Florida. Went to visit the folks in Clearwater last year. I always drive their car since they scare the crap out of me. I made it 3 blocks and couldn't do it any more. I became a passenger with a blind fold. It's a heat wave here, 10 degree and no wind.

I had to deal with a snow storm when I got to Denver last Monday night and got out of there Thursday before a storm with "white out" conditions hit. Guess that is weather that hit the mid-west this week end. That's only about the fourth or fifth time I've had to deal with snow in the past twenty four years.

San Francisco is supposed to be in the mid-60s to 70 for the rest of the week and everything is green and flowers are starting to bloom. I don't miss the four seasons and really like living in a place where we have spring weather year round. Unfortunately I have to go to Florida in a couple of weeks.

Bob,

It was a pleasure speaking with you on Saturday and like you said the weather was great.
Sorry I didn't have time to travel to Orlando but we have my daughter all moved in Savanna.
I'm sure we'll be down there a lot more so we have no excuses but to stop by and say hi to you guys.
We left with bad weather and we came back to leave in the worst weather, aint the north great.

George

What did you do in the Corps? Traveled alot in a bus

What years were you a Corps member? 1978 and 1979

Thank heavens. We just got 4 more inches with 2 more to come. It hadn't snowed in 24 hours, I was going thru withdrawl.

We had some rain last night - back to the 70's today.

its been raining since yesterday afternoon!!! AND.. I'm heading back to the frigid north tonight.... ughhhhhhhh

Bob, Do you ever get to the shuttle launches? We thought about going last Thursday but there was a chance of rain. I wasn't going to drive that far with 2 little ones for nothing.

This should make ya'll happy - we're in the 40s this morning! But 70 projected for later.

And I went to one shuttle launch, but I didn't get very close. You can actually see it very clearly from Orlando most times.

John,

I don't know if you are getting all the rain in California, but it is interfering with the NASCAR race. And all that weather is heading our way with rain and then snow. Please make winter go away.

We had rain most of today in the Bay Area and south of here to LA got much more rain and high winds--don't know if they finished the NASCAR race in Fontana. Also, the news said they had over two feet of snow up in Lake Tahoe today and closed I-80 for four hours at Donner Summit. So it's headed East and it might end up in the midwest.

It's also been the coldest winter (40s and 50s for highs) in norhtern CA in about 30 years (so much for global warming). The rain and mountain snow does have a benefit for us since when the mountain snow melts all the reservoirs will be over flowing.

Usually we don't get many major storms after February so it should be over soon.

So, how's that Global Warming going for ya'll up there?

So, I heard you had to turn the AC up high today. TO BAD.

This is starting to turn ugly!

Well all you folks,including me that have to deal
with all this snow that we've been getting in
February,we have to look at the bright side of all
this mess,the shoveling,the sore backs that come
with it,the salt,the dirty cars,being stuck in our
homes,----SPRING IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER.

What did you do in the Corps? French Horn

What years were you a Corps member? 1957 thru 1963

We're actually supposed to go into the upper 30's tonight, and only up to 62 tomorrow, so ya'll should feel better...

Maybe the cold Florida weather will kill all the bugs. Also understand there is a major power outage in south Florida. Hope people don't freeze to death when it gets into the 40s.

Gee, when it gets to the 40s here .. we go out for a Barbeque!

John, NO BUGS HERE!

I cook on the grill when the wind is under 20 miles an hour. Poor Florida, it is hard to restart power when everyone has their AC on.

I'll take the bugs - you keep the snow.

And I'm wearing a sweater today...

The Governor of Illinois has petitioned the White House to declare Northern Illinois a Federal Disaster area because of all the snow we got. Most of the towns have run out of salt and are using sand. During the off-season, towns buy salt for about $45 / ton. Now it is going for $150 / ton. In Gurnee they have worn down their plows and need new blades.

According to the report I saw on local news, Gurnee is $500,000 over budget this year.

What did you do in the Corps? Cymbals, Bass Drum, Tenor

What years were you a Corps member? 1980-1983

1 2