Return to Website

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum

Alumni are welcome to post messages to each other, comment on experiences, or just tell everyone what you've been doing. The Topics with most the recent comments will always be at the top of the list.

If you click on the Message Topic (first column in the table below) then you will see all of the messages for that Topic. You can then add your own comment by clicking the REPLY button for any message.  If you click the QUOTE button on a message, that message will be copied into your reply so that it's clear what your reply is about.

You can start a New Topic as well. Just click the START A NEW POST link below.

All we ask is that you keep it neat, clean, polite, and reasonably intelligent.

Norwood Park Imperials Alumni Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: MEMORIAL DAY!

The very first Drum Corps I ever laid eyes on was Norwood at the Norwood Memorial Day Parade 1968. What a beautiful site! The corps just seems to tower over everything else in the Parade which was mostly made up of Boy and Girl Scouts and little league players. And then the corps played and I was hooked!

What did you do in the Corps? Color Guard & Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 1970 - 1973

Gosh, Donna, I had the SAME experience. In 1958, I saw the Imperials in the NP parade on Memorial Day. Amazing, as you described.

I was a member of a HS band as a drummer ... and immediately wanted to join this group!

The Imperials could have done a better job of local publicity and recruiting (IMHO). If so, I would have joined earlier .. maybe a lot of others too.

-------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66; asst. drum instr. 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

When I first saw NP I was 11 and very short (still am). The corps in their uniforms and shakos with plumes looked like giants to me. I was truly impressed. It is funny how we remember things, and that image has stayed clear in my memory.

It seemed like the corps relied solely on word of mouth to get members, which was sad. If they had found better ways to recruit new members imagine what could have been!

What did you do in the Corps? Color Guard & Soprano

What years were you a Corps member? 1970 - 1973

Donna said...It seemed like the corps relied solely on word of mouth to get members, which was sad. If they had found better ways to recruit new members imagine what could have been!
------------------------------------------------------
Yes, imagine!

----------------------------------------------------------------------

What did you do in the Corps? drummer; quartermaster 1964-66; asst. drum instr. 1964-70

What years were you a Corps member? 1958-63

Donna also mentions the corps looking like giants in uniform. I remember thinking that - we all did - in the Cadets. We couldn't wait to move up and wear those uniforms! And Norwood's uniform was the easiest of the ones I wore over the years. Cavaliers had too many pieces, and Spirit's jackets zipped up the back, which was a real pain (it was a team effort to get dressed for a show!).

What did you do in the Corps? Snare; Drum Major; Drum Instructor/Arranger

What years were you a Corps member? 1970-73; 78-79